Lack of sleep can have grave consequences to your health. Each night we go through three distinct stages of sleep ranging from light sleep to deep sleep and finally, to rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. A complete cycle consist of REM and non-REM cycles that alternate every 90 to 110 minutes and is repeated four to six times per night. REM sleep helps in mental consolidation while non-REM helps in cell growth, physical repair and rebuilding.
The earlier part of sleep is mostly non-REM. During that period, our pituitary gland release growth hormones that repair our body. The latter part of sleep is more REM-type sleep.
To be mentally alert during the day, the latter part of sleep is more important. We may find that upon waking up to an alarm clock after five to six hours of sleep, we are mentally irritable throughout the day (lack of REM sleep). And if we have slept for less than five hours, our body is in a complete physical mess (lack of non-REM sleep), we are tired throughout the day, moving like a zombie and we tend to fall sick easily.
Here are tips for good quality sleep:
- Your sleep patterns are in 25-hour cycles and since we only have 24hours in a day, it’s really easy to mess up your body rhythms whenever you stay awake too long or sleep at the wrong times. Keep tabs of your own body rhythms and make sure to get some shuteye when you need it.
- Carve a routine. Establish a small routine that you can do to wind down at the end of each day. Take warm shower, do a bit of reading or listen to some soothing music. Anything that helps you relax and quieten down will certainly help you obtain a better night’s sleep.
- Set the tone. Make sure that the place where you sleep is dimly lit or better still, completely dark. Keep noise levels to a bare minimum and keep your bedroom temperature cool.
- What you eat also influences how well you sleep. Consuming food that contain caffeine four hours to your intended bedtime may end up hindering your sleep. Taking a warm glass of milk is said to be helpful. Eating more natural foods with carbohydrate content such as beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables is also recommended for better sleep.
Natural sleep aids such as Rilax Zzz help regulate sleep when taken regularly. Already a favourite among Malaysians who have tried it, Rilax helps you experience a good solid night’s sleep, so that you wake up feeling recharged, renewed and reenergised. Rilax contains two proven and award-winning ingredients:
- Lactium: A naturally-occuring peptide found in milk protein that has relaxing and calming properties. it mimics the properties found in mother’s milk, thus inducing the same state if calm that a baby enters after a feed.
- Green tea extract: It is rich in L-Theanine, an amino acid found naturally in green tea leaves that promotes an alert state of relaxation without drowsiness.
A recent clinical study published in The Open Sleep Journal (2009;2) showed that Rilax Zzz,s proven, patented and award winning natural active ingredient helped a majority of participant improve various aspects of sleep disorders. Results indicated improvement in sleep quality after two weeks of supplementation, along with decreases in sleep latency and daytime dysfunction after four weeks of supplementation.
Rilax’s green tea extract is an amino acid that has a relaxing effect. it is able to initiate an alpha brain wave pattern that signifies a relaxed physical and mental state without drowsiness or impaired motor skills. Studies also confirmed that this ingredient improves the quality of sleep by allowing our mind to fully relax and recuperate. Subjects in the studies did not report feeling groggy and felt refreshed and alert upon waking.
Take Rilax an hour before bedtime. It is suitable for those who experience sleep problems due to stress, menopause, jet lag and shift work, and is also convenient to take on travels. Rilax is a natural food supplement, non-habit forming, have no side effects and does not cause grogginess when you wake up. For details, contact LiveLife’s Infoline 1800-88-0488 or visit www.rilaxzzz.com